Life is truly a puzzle- often with several pieces missing.
Have you ever thought of learning as a puzzle?
Isn’t learning all connected?
Shouldn’t it be taught that way too?
After all, don’t we take a little math, a little science, a little writing, some interactions from others, several videos, some reading, and put it all together to build a picture of our learning?
How can learning be guided in the form of a puzzle?
Math– Math is all about looking for patterns; whether it’s in number, nature, or design.
When you’re noticing patterns, you’re more critically examining the world around you.
Math is merely a puzzle that we figure out along the way.
- Realizing how addition and subtraction fit together and build to form multiplication and division create a foundation for all mathematical computation.
- Counting the rings on a tree will help you to determine its age.
- Understanding why a four-legged table holds more weight than 3 legs incorporates number, weight, and measurement.
- Discovering Fibonacci’s Sequence in nature helps us to connect patterns to the world around us.
Mathematical understanding leads to an understanding of science.
Science– Science is a life puzzle. How do physics, chemistry, biology, earth science, and technology fit together in our world?
- Foods are composed of natural (and sometimes synthetic) chemicals.
- Nature’s growth is based on the make up of the earth and is dependent upon how well we can support that growth through advances in technology.
- Inventions support our life, prolong our biology, interact through physics and hopefully improve our world.
Scientific understanding often happens through the influence of reading and writing.
Reading and Writing– Reading and writing are 2 of the most influential learning pieces in our lives. They affect all of our learning.
- Whether you prefer old fashioned books, the immediate reading of online information, or the brevity of a blog, reading can open our eyes and expand our understanding.
- Writing puts the influence in our own hands through letters, email, blogs, and editorials. Our influence gets to spread.
Reading and writing help us to clarify our ideas and communicate them to others.
Sharing Ideas-Generating ideas lifts our spirits and offers inspiration toward a better future. Sharing ideas expands horizons and opens us up to learning that we can’t do alone.
Other people can be part of our learning puzzle.
- Interacting through online classes engages learners and allows for a diversity of ideas that might not ordinarily happen.
- Working in groups strategizing solutions encourages contributions of individuals to a common goal.
- Learning can expand out across continents through webinars and platforms like YouTube.
Sharing ideas helps us to spread our learning to others and reinforce our own learning.
Treating learning as separate subjects does a disservice to learners.
Building foundational and conceptual understanding helps learners to fit together the pieces of the puzzle of learning.